Saturday, August 11, 2012

Scholarship for Studio Incamminati!

I have some very exciting news - tomorrow I am traveling to Philadelphia for a couple of weeks of intensive life painting!

I received a scholarship to attend an Advanced Portrait and Figure workshop at Studio Incamminati (Nelson Shank's atelier) starting on Monday. The lead instructor is Stephen Early. There will also be a bunch of extra presentations, lectures and demonstrations by other artists.

I am really interested in learning more about how to merge tonalist volume with wonderful color. The impressionists focused on color, but if you were to look at one of, for example, Monet's paintings in black and white you will not see a lot of volume and structure since his work is all about light and color. Most classical ateliers are more focused on tonalism than color, so Studio Incamminati is rather unique in that it includes color. I have also studied with Cedric and Joanette Egeli,(who, along with Nelson Shanks, were both former students of Henry Hensche) both on the beach in Provincetown and at their month long winter workshop.They are both exceptional artists and I am grateful to have learned from them as well.

My approach to continuing education has been to regularly take workshops. I find I always learn something new and crucial from every experience and I am so thankful to the talented artists that wholeheartedly share their knowledge and skills.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds so exciting! I hope you have time to post some pics!