Friday, September 25, 2015

Fine Art Oil Portrait Commission by Canadian Portrait Artist Laurel McBrine

Oil on Belgian Linen - 24x18 inches

I recently completed this head and shoulders oil portrait of a lovely young woman. I also finished a larger outdoor piece of another beautiful girl, which I will be posting soon, after it is framed and picked up by the family. Both girls are 18 years old. This is a great age to capture a daughter, just on the brink of womanhood.

I find this pose and expression reminiscent of the Mona Lisa as her eyes follow you no matter where you stand to view the painting and she has a mysterious expression with a slight smile.

I like to call my painting style "Brushy Realism" since the portrait accurately captures the appearance of the subject, but it is still very much a painting, with visible brushstrokes and not photographically detailed which, in my opinion, makes it more interesting and flattering.

Close-up of face

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Magnificently haunting portrait! That one deserves to go down in history (with all due respects Leonardo!). The eyes are so captivating. I'm in awe of any artist who can achieve portraits like this

Laurel Alanna McBrine said...

Thanks so much Gayle, you are very kind and I appreciate your feedback!